Why Mainers Are Taking Action
Diabetes in Maine is a problem
- 1 in 10 Mainers has diabetes.
- 32,264 (3%) of Mainers have diabetes but don’t know it.
- Diabetes in Maine tripled between 1995 and 2010.
Diabetes increases your risk of serious health problems
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in Maine.
- Persons with diabetes are more likely to die of heart disease or have a stroke.
- 6 out of 10 non-traumatic lower limb amputations in Maine are due to diabetes.
Diabetes costs Maine families too much
- People with diabetes have twice the medical costs than those without.
- People with diabetes spend about $13,700 per year on medical costs, $7,900 of which is related to their diabetes.
Diabetes is preventable
- 1 in 3 adults have pre-diabetes. Most don’t know it.
- Without lifestyle changes, 15%-30% will develop Type 2 diabetes within 5 years.
NDPP works to prevent diabetes
- NDPP is proven to help people with pre-diabetes make lasting lifestyle changes that decrease their risk of getting diabetes.
- It was developed and researched by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- NDPP is offered by worksites, hospitals, health centers and community organizations in nearly every county in Maine.
- The program provides one year of support in small groups led by trained lifestyle coaches.
Action Steps For Mainers
1. Find out more about diabetes
- Read the fact sheet about Diabetes in Maine to learn more about Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Visit the US CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program website.
2. Assess your risk
- Talk to your doctor to see if you have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Take the Pre-diabetes Risk Quiz.
3. Find out more about NDPP
- Ask your employer about NDPP in Maine.
- Call your health insurance company to find out if NDPP is part of your plan.
- Use this site to find a diabetes prevention program and lifestyle coach in your area.
4. Participate in NDPP
- Attend NDPP classes.
- Encourage friends and family to attend.
- Diabetes in Maine Fact Sheet
- Pre-Diabetes and the National Diabetes Prevention Program Fact Sheet
- Cost of Diabetes Fact Sheet