Why Health Systems Are Taking Action
NDPP is not another wellness program
- Type 2 diabetes is preventable. NDPP is an evidence-based program that works to prevent diabetes.
- In people with pre-diabetes, HALF of new cases of Type 2 diabetes can be prevented with structured lifestyle change programs like NDPP.
- NDPP is a high value program because so many people are eligible to participate.
NDPP is a population health approach
- The program supports simple lifestyle changes that result in improved population health outcomes.
- It reduces claims related to pre-diabetes, diabetes and associated risk factors.
- NDPP has a cross-cutting health improvement impact on multiple conditions that can lead to chronic disease – the number one health insurance cost driver.
NDPP fits in today’s healthcare landscape
- A good fit for Accountable Care Organizations or Shared Savings agreements.
- Perfect demonstration of a community-clinical linkage for preventive health services.
- It has clear standards and operating procedures.
- Can be operated by health systems with delivery system resources located in the community at low cost.
Action Steps For Health Systems
1. Increase your organization’s knowledge of pre-diabetes and NDPP
- Assign a staff member to research pre-diabetes and NDPP.
- Locate NDPP and Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) sites in your region.
- Understand how NDPP helps achieve the Triple Aim.
- Understand the evidence-base of NDPP and its published efficacy.
- Contact NDPP sites near you to discuss possible collaboration.
- Understand your organization’s needs and opportunities related to Type 2 diabetes prevention.
2. Start with your staff
- Appoint Diabetes Educators or Employee Health Program staff to plan employee health strategies utilizing NDPP.
- Offer NDPP to your employees by implementing NDPP at your site(s) or partnering with existing community organizations that offer NDPP.
- Include the Pre-diabetes Risk Quiz on your website, on your Health Risk Assessment (HRA) tool and with wellness coaches.
- Apply the Pre-diabetes Algorithm when designing your own protocol for identifying employees at high risk of developing pre-diabetes or diabetes.
3. Explore implementing NDPP within your health system
- Use your electronic medical records (EMR) to assess risk by understanding Type 2 diabetes prevalence within a patient panel.
- Use the Pre-diabetes Algorithm to implement an EMR protocol to identify “high risk”, pre-diabetes and the diabetes population of active patients.
- Utilize existing DSMT expertise to align DSMT National Standards of Care with NDPP.
- Learn about the Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program (DPRP) Standards and Operating Procedures.
- Understand your health system’s readiness and organizational capacity to sustain and deliver NDPP.
- Calculate the cost and potential revenue for NDPP delivery and sustainability.
4. Get US CDC program recognition and implement NDPP
- Complete the DPRP capacity assessment.
- Complete an online application with US CDC to achieve pending or full recognition status.
- Obtain a NDPP site current letter of understanding with the Maine CDC.
- Identify a program coordinator and lifestyle coaches.
- Train lifestyle coaches in US CDC NDPP curriculum.
- Schedule and run classes.
5. Monitor impact
- Monitor and track participation.
- Report participant data to DPRP.
6. Provide NDPP leadership to the health landscape
- Discuss including NDPP as part of your health insurance book of business.
- Explore ways to include NDPP as part of your Accountable Care Organization (ACO).
- Recognize NDPP as a population health management strategy for your health system.
- Diabetes in Maine Fact Sheet
- Pre-Diabetes and the National Diabetes Prevention Program Fact Sheet
- Cost of Diabetes Fact Sheet
- How NDPP Supports the Triple Aim Fact Sheet
- Pre-Diabetes Identification and Intervention Algorithm
- Diabetes is Preventable Employee flyer
- Discuss the Benefits of ReThinking Diabetes with your Health Insurance Provider Talking Points
- Health Systems Action Brief
- AMA DPP Cost Savings Calculator